Trailer tents offer the perfect balance between tent camping and caravanning. They are more stable and solid than a tent, and are also easier to tow and store than a full-size caravan, making them a great way to enjoy a holiday in the UK or abroad.
However, because they are not as secure as a traditional caravan it is important that you take out the right insurance to keep your investment, and its contents, protected against loss, fire, theft and accidents.
This is where trailer tent insurance comes in. It is a specialist class of insurance that is available for UK based owners of trailer tents that are towed to camping and caravanning sites throughout the UK and Europe.
By having it in place, you will be able to enjoy your breaks in peace, safe in the knowledge that your unit is protected at all times.
Please Note: All quotes are provided through Quotezone and their panel members who are all authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Let us help you find Trailer Tent Insurance
Things to look out for when taking out trailer tent insurance
The following are factors that should be considered when searching for a suitable insurance policy for your trailer tent:
- Is the policy an all risk policy – i.e. does it protect the trailer tent, its contents and any awnings/equipment against loss or damage whilst being used, on-site and whilst in storage?
- Does it cover both new and old trailer tents/folding campers?
- Does it cover friends and family use in the UK?
- Is continental use of the trailer tent covered?
- Is the unit covered whilst being towed?
- Is the cost of emergency recovery, both at home and whilst abroad, covered and does this include delivery to the nearest repairer and then back to your home?
- Does it cover loss of use – i.e. provide alternative accommodation or cover trailer tent hiring charges?
- Does the policy offer public/third party liability cover?
- Does it offer personal accident cover?
- Does it provide cover on a ‘New For Old’ or ‘Market Value’ basis?
- Does it offer a No Claims discount?
It’s also worth finding whether the insurer offers any discounts on their policies for having features that reduce the risk and/or severity of a claim. For example, will you be rewarded with a lower premium if you have one or more of the following:
- Claims free caravan/trailer tent experience
- Trailer tent security features, e.g. wheel clamp or tracking device
- Caravan club membership
- Storage at CaSSOA (Caravan Storage Site Owners’ Association) registered storage sites
Most, if not all, trailer tent insurance policies will require that the unit is secured, normally with a wheel clamping device and hitchlock whenever it is left detached and unattended – as with a caravan. If these devices are not fitted as required, your insurer will not pay out if your trailer tent is stolen. Additional security measures may also be required, depending on the value of the unit.
As with any type of insurance, it is always a good idea to shop around and get quotes from a number of different insurance companies before signing up for a deal. You can save yourself both time and money by using price comparison websites to compare quotes and help ensure you get the best value on your trailer tent cover