Buildings insurance should cover pet accommodation, expert notes

Britons will be able to claim on their buildings insurance if their pets are forced to abandon their homes during the current spate of flooding, one expert has noted.

A spokesperson for Norwich Union, which provides pet insurance and buildings insurance, said that “reasonable” accommodation costs would be covered.

These may include expenses such as placing one’s furry friend into a kennel if they can no longer live in the family home due to floodwater, something that would be claimed from a buildings insurance, rather than per insurance policy said the expert.

“I don’t think any pet owner would try and put their pet in jeopardy in a situation like that – presumably you’re removing them from harm’s way and trying to do the right thing,” he remarked.

However, the official also pointed out that any injuries to an animal would be covered solely by a pet insurance policy.

“That is what pet insurance is there for,” he concluded.

The flooding has resulted in an estimated £2 billion worth of claims on policies such as home insurance, motor insurance and business insurance, according to the Association of British Insurers.

track© Adfero Ltd

Related Articles