Contents Insurance – Householder

Contents Insurance – Householder

Evaluating the cost of contents

It is not just the structure of your home you have to insure. In addition, you have to insure its contents against loss or damage due to theft, fire, lightning, storms, flooding, other water leakage, explosions or earthquakes.

The home contents could be more valuable than you consider the case. An average family of four estimates their contents to be worth around £25,000, whereas, the true value is likely to nearer £55,000. It is crucial to get the correct figure in order that your insurance pays out in the event of a claim.

Request FREE Contents Insurance Quotes

Get FREE quotes for Contents Insurance by completing the short form below. Whatever your requirements we'll connect you with fully regulated Insurance Brokers near you who will provide you with free advice and quotes without any obligation to proceed. Once you have reviewed the provider, you can call contact them directly by phone where you will be able to discuss the policy details and your requirements with them.

To start just enter your postcode or location in the box below!

Quotes are provided through Brokers who have access to trusted insurance providers and are all authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

The best way of ensuring that you have adequate cover is to go round your house room by room and list your possessions - including, PCs, tablets/devices, jewellery, furniture, clothes, curtains, carpets as well as the contents of your garden shed. Should you be at all unsure, it could be helpful to consider the items you would take with you should you move house.

Ensure that you read the terms and conditions of the policy as the majority of insurers limit the pay out for a single item. Say the single item limit is £1,500 and a ring costing £2,000 is stolen from your property, you may end up with a shortfall of £500.

Your insurer is likely to request details relating to any valuable items; it is essential to provide all the relevant information. Should you not do so, you may invalidate the policy and the insurer can refuse to pay out when a claim is made.

New for old

Contents insurance is often sorted out on a new for old basis. Say a fire has caused damage to your TV; the policy pays for a new replacement. Certain insurers offer indemnity policies which take into account wear and tear. Therefore, should your TV be 5 years old it is only going to pay for its current value, not the price you paid for it when you bought it new. Indemnity policies are usually cheaper. Nonetheless, most people opt for new for old cover.

You can pay extra premium for additional contents cover which may be worth it in certain cases.

Accidental damage is a highly popular add-on as it insures your possessions should there be an accident, like, say you spill red wine on your carpet or break a valuable ornament. You can also insure such as mobile phones, cameras, iPods and laptops on personal possessions insurance when remove them from your home.

Contents insurance for tenants

Tenants usually do not have to be concerned about buildings insurance. However, they ought to certainly consider tenants insurance for the contents of their rented home. Certain kinds of rented accommodation are particularly vulnerable to theft, due, say to shared entrances. Therefore, it is important to have sufficient cover in place.

It can prove to be good idea for tenants to extend their policy to include accidental damage, for occasions where they may cause any damage to landlord’s carpets or curtains. Certain insurers are not going to cover your contents should you live in shared accommodation, or should you rent a furnished property.

Contents insurance for students

Students commonly overlook contents cover. When you know you are leaving home to go to university, insurance is usually not your main concern. However, like anyone else, a student can be a victim of crime. Student contents insurance enables you to protect your belongings against fire, flood, burst pipes and vandalism.

Certain students opt to add their contents onto their parent's policy, which may be simple. However, ensure you compare quotes as it can be more expensive than separate cover.

You are going to need your own contents cover should you live in shared accommodation. It is important to check that the policy covers bicycles and musical instruments and that the cover applies during holidays and term time.

Related Articles